Latest News

A thirst to get qualified at the Propertymark Wales National Conference

18 October 2019

With so much change for agents in Wales in 2019, the delegates at the Propertymark Wales National Conference heard a legislative reminder on anti-money laundering, referral fees and the regulation of the industry. Read More...

London letting agents guilty of money laundering

18 October 2019

Three London agents have received suspended sentences after pleading guilty to fraud following an investigation made by the National Trading Standards eCrime Team. Read More...

Homeowners more than £350k better off than private renters over 30 years

18 October 2019

The average homeowner in the UK could be £352,500 better off than the average private renter over the next 30 years, new research from the Intermediary Mortgage Lenders Association (IMLA) says. Read More...

Landlord fined £25k for unlicensed properties

18 October 2019

A buy-to-let landlord in Nottingham was convicted of nine offences of failing to license properties under the Selective Licensing scheme at Nottingham Magistrates’ Court. Read More...

Appeal against private residential tenancy dismissed

17 October 2019

A tenant in Scotland who claimed that she and her landlords were subject to a private residential tenancy (PRT) in a house of multiple occupancy has had her appeal dismissed. Read More...

The Letting Partnership - Client Accounting

15 October 2019

When it comes to choosing an outsourcing company what can you do to make sure they’re the right partner for you? Read More...

The importance of looking after your employee’s mental health

14 October 2019

This year’s World Mental Health Day was on 10 October and put mental wellbeing firmly under the spotlight. Richard Gould, Director of Commercial at Howden Employee Benefits & Wellbeing, considers the proactive steps we can all take to look after our mental health. Read More...

New rules for landlord registration in Scotland

14 October 2019

From 16 September 2019, the information that landlords are required to provide to register or renew their application on the National Landlord Register has changed. Read More...

Government no further with mandatory electrical safety checks

11 October 2019

Despite Government committing to the introduction in England of electrical safety checks in the private rented sector in July 2018 and then the Ministry of Housing, Communities and Local Government (MHCLG) stating its intention to introduce legislation in January 2019, landlords and letting agents are still left without answers. Read More...

Gas Safety Superheroes

Thursday 19 September 2019

Propertymark advocates for only the highest standards in the property industry, and this week during Gas Safety Week, we want to highlight the impacts of not doing the proper checks on your properties.

Landlords are legally responsible for the safety of their tenants and must make sure maintenance and annual safety checks on gas appliances are carried out by a Gas Safe registered engineer. 

If you’re a landlord, you are legally obliged to make sure:

  • Gas pipework, appliances and flues provided for tenants are maintained in a safe condition.
  • All gas appliances and flues provided for tenants’ use have an annual safety check. Your tenants can report you to the HSE if you don’t provide one, so it’s important to remember. You can set a free email and/or text reminder so you don’t forget, visit StayGasSafe.co.uk.
  • A Gas Safety Record is provided to the tenant within 28 days of completing the check or to any new tenant before they move in.
  • You keep a copy of the Gas Safety Record until two further checks have taken place.
  • Maintenance and annual safety checks are carried out by a qualified Gas Safe registered engineer.
  • All gas equipment (including any appliance left by a previous tenant) is safe or otherwise removed before re-letting.

We hear stories from the people behind the superhero masks that manage to spot the signs, educate and save lives when others choose to ignore the appropriate steps.

Nathan Evans's story

Nathan Evans, a Melin gas engineer from Monmouthshire, stopped a carbon monoxide leak from a faulty grill on a cooker: “I was in the process of the annual gas service appointment at a customer’s home when I spotted that the grill on her cooker was faulty and leaking carbon monoxide. Luckily the customer and her partner rarely used the grill, but mentioned that occasionally the carbon monoxide sensor went off when they grilled bacon. I checked the grill and immediately condemned the cooker. Thankfully the customer kept to her appointment as any delay in letting us carry out the annual gas service could have had serious consequences.”

Melin Homes adds: “We hope this highlights the importance of keeping gas service appointments. This is a stark reminder of the importance of gas safety checks and our customer expressed how grateful she is to Nathan and our team.”

John Allen's story

John Allen from John Allen Plumbing and Heating, Derbyshire, helped an elderly resident in a neighbouring property to where he was carrying out a boiler installation: “I was working at a house fitting a boiler last year when I could smell carbon coming from the adjacent property. I looked over the fence and was greeted by the flue from a 40-year-old Concorde boiler surrounded by signs of combustion all around it. When I went to speak to the next-door neighbour, I was met by an elderly lady on a breathing apparatus who was pleased that I had explained the reason why I wanted to enter her property. Her boiler was in an outbuilding attached on to the house, and just below the bathroom. I used my gas analyser from a distance and quickly removed it as it was picking up 1,200 ppm of CO. That amount of CO seeping under the floor in the bathroom is very dangerous, so I explained the situation to the homeowner and capped off the gas supply to the boiler. The neighbour then had a new boiler fitted under a grant scheme.”

John Mickiewicz's story

John Mickiewicz, a gas engineer from Oldham, helped a child understand how he helps families stay ‘gas safe’ at home: “The daughter of an existing customer was learning about carbon monoxide (CO) at school, and came home and asked her parents how they were sure that their gas appliance were safe from leaking CO. They explained that I look after their gas appliance through annual gas safety checks, but she still didn’t fully understand so I visited the home to explain exactly what you look out for and what needs to be done to make sure their home stays gas safe. I also installed two CO alarms and explained how these worked, and what she needed to do if they went off. She has since said that she much safer in her home knowing more about how gas safety works.”

Nick Gurney's story

Nick Gurney, a Swale Heating engineer from Kent, explains how he saved a family from a botched DIY gas job: “I recently went to a flat in Kent where the whole family could have been killed by the botched DIY job on their boiler flue. Condensation was dripping from the flue, and so someone had put mastic (a type of resin) around the joint. Unfortunately, the flue seal itself had perished and that meant carbon monoxide, or CO for short, could have leaked into the flat whenever the boiler was on.”

Gas Safety Week 2019

Jonathan Samuel, Chief Executive for Gas Safe Register, said: “It’s great to see so many people supporting Gas Safety Week this year to help spread important and, in some cases, lifesaving advice about gas safety. It’s so vital that we help people to know not to cut corners with gas and always ask a suitably qualified Gas Safe registered engineer to work on gas appliances at their home to stay gas safe.”

Visit the Gas Safety Week website where you can benefit from lots of free advice. 

Propertymark consumer information

Propertymark aims to protect and guide consumers helping them get to grips with what’s expected regarding landlord safety responsibilities and we have outlined the main safety concerns and legal obligations in our guide:

Landlord Safety Responsibilities Guide 

Propertymark resources

To help understand your responsibilities, ARLA Propertymark members can login to the members area and refer to our range of fact sheets on:

  • Legal Responsibilities for Gas Safety
  • Gas Regulations – Danger Do Not Use Notices
  • Fitting Carbon Monoxide Detectors
  • Installation of Smoke and Carbon Monoxide Alarms

All our fact sheets are an exclusive member benefit.

Fact sheets 

Members can also download our updated our Making homes safe and Safeguarding your money digital leaflet pack which you can add your logo, branch details and print them from your office or send to clients electronically.

Digital Leaflet Pack