Latest News

Guidance released on aluminium composite materials cladding

14 November 2019

The UK Government has released information and advice for building owners, landlords and leaseholders where aluminium composite material (ACM) cladding is present on their building. Read More...

Buy-to-let mortgages stable despite slowdown in market

13 November 2019

Latest data has revealed an overall slowdown in mortgages despite the stability in the buy-to-let market with an expected further growth of 1 per cent in the next quarter. Read More...

Scottish Letting Agent Registration figures update

12 November 2019

The number of letting agents in Scotland who are now operating with a Letting Agent Registration Number (LARN) stands at 837 from 977 applications received by the Scottish Government. Read More...

Launch of #GSW2019

Thursday 12 September 2019

Gas Safety Week 2019 was launched this week at the House of Commons. The event went ahead despite a prorogued parliament with attendees picking their way through protests and disruption part way through the event due to amplified heckling from Westminster Bridge.

The event was hosted by the All Party Parliamentary Group on Carbon Monoxide and Barry Sheerman MP, Labour representative for Huddersfield gave the key address.

Barry Sheerman talked about this year’s focus being on vulnerable residents, he reminded attendees about a number of tragic cases across a wide range of housing including a woman in Blackpool who had lived in accommodation for many years  

Gordon Lishman, Chair of Think CO, the Gas Safe Charity, explained the education resources that are available to local authorities, carers and the wider public in a range of accessible formats. He also introduced attendees to the work of FILT (Foundations Independent Living Trust), a body which supports older and vulnerable people to live with dignity in their own homes.

 In addition to the core Gas Safety Week messages speakers made the following points:

  • Checks must be regular and must always be carried out by Gas Safe registered engineers
  • Overseas travel is a danger area for many carbon monoxide poisoning cases. Travellers should pack a portable detector
  • Don’t take a cooling barbeque into a tent (to use as a heater) as restricted airflow may cause carbon monoxide poisoning

#GSW2019 Top Tips for Staying Safe:

Only use a Gas Safe registered engineer to fit, fix and service your appliances. You can find and check an engineer at GasSafeRegister.co.uk (check out our graphic below) or call 0800 408 5500.

Check both sides of your engineer’s Gas Safe Register ID card. Make sure they are qualified for the work you need doing. You can find this information on the back of the card.

Have all your gas appliances regularly serviced and safety checked every year. If you rent your home ask for a copy of the landlord’s current Gas Safety Record.

Know the six signs of carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning – headaches, dizziness, breathlessness, nausea, collapse and loss of consciousness. Unsafe gas appliances can put you at risk of CO poisoning, gas leaks, fires and explosions.

Check gas appliances for warning signs that they are not working properly e.g. lazy yellow flames instead of crisp blue ones, black marks or stains on or around the appliance and too much condensation in the room.

Fit an audible carbon monoxide alarm. This will alert you if there is carbon monoxide in your home.