Latest News

Gas Safety Superheroes

19 September 2019

Propertymark advocates for only the highest standards in the property industry, and this week during Gas Safety Week, we want to highlight the impacts of not doing the proper checks on your properties. Read More...

Agencies expelled from TPO

19 September 2019

Shoreditch based estate agent Chase & Co UK Ltd, (trading as Chase & Co UK) and Isle of Dogs based estate agent, Property 24/7 have been expelled from The Property Ombudsman (TPO). Read More...

Landlord hit with over £500k fine after illegally converting property

18 September 2019

A London landlord has been hit with fine of over £500,000 after illegally dividing his property into eight small flats. Read More...

Rogue agents fined over £1.2m

18 September 2019

Figures from the London Trading Standards (LTS) show rogue letting agents have been fined over £1.2m for breaking the law, either by not displaying fees and charges or for not being members of a redress scheme. Read More...

Lib Dems to scrap Section 21

18 September 2019

The Liberal Democrats have passed a motion which will scrap Section 21 'No Fault Evictions' in the private rented sector if they come to power at the next general election. Read More...

Have your say on Section 21

13 September 2019

ARLA Propertymark is encouraging all letting agents to respond to the UK Government’s consultation on ‘A new deal for renting: resetting the balance of rights and responsibilities between landlords and tenants.’ Read More...

Propertymark supports Gas Safety Week 2019

Wednesday 11 September 2019

Propertymark has pledged its support for Gas Safety Week, taking place 16 -22 September 2019, and will be raising awareness about the importance of gas safety to its members and the public.

The ninth annual Gas Safety Week sees organisations from across the UK working together to raise awareness of the dangers of poorly maintained gas appliances, which can cause gas leaks, fires, explosions and carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning.

Gas safety is important all year round, but it is important to make agents, landlords and prospective landlords aware of their responsibilities.

Carbon monoxide is a colourless, odourless and toxic gas that can cause unconsciousness and death at high concentrations. Around 50 people die every year from CO poisoning caused by gas, oil and solid fuel appliances and flues that have not been properly installed, maintained or that are poorly ventilated.

Here we take you through some recent examples which show the consequences when responsibilities are not adhered to.

Landlord sentences

Suspended prison sentence for failed checks

A Torquay landlord was sentenced after failing to ensure proper landlord’s gas safety checks were undertaken at his tenanted property. Mr Mehmet Sevim, a former Gas Safe Register gas engineer and landlord of residential properties, had contracted a fitter who was not a member of Gas Safe Register to undertake a landlord’s gas safety check at one of his properties.

An investigation by the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) found Mr Sevim repeatedly maintained that he had used a person who he could not name to undertake the landlord’s gas safety check for him. He failed to make any checks on the individual, including checking if he was registered with Gas Safe Register. The investigation also found the landlord’s gas safety certificate used false Gas Safe Register engineer details which Mr Sevim admitted he had produced the fraudulent certificate.

Mr Sevim of Ellacombe was sentenced to 26 weeks prison and ordered to pay costs of £5,330.

Custodial sentence for gas safety offences

A landlord was sentenced for failing to maintain gas appliances at a rental property and repeatedly failing to provide tenants with a Landlords Gas Safety Certificate.

Norwich Magistrates’ Court heard how inspectors from the HSE and Gas Safe Register inspected a property at Kings Lynn where they found a gas oven to be at risk and the gas central heating boiler to be unsafe to use.

The subsequent HSE investigation found the landlord, Mr Steven Ladell, had failed in his duty to have the gas appliances regularly inspected or maintained, and failed to provide a Landlords Gas Safety Certificate for several years, all of which are legal requirements.

Mr Ladell of Great Harwood received a 20-week custodial sentence and to pay full costs of £4,146.

Be part of Gas Safety Week

Jonathan Samuel, Chief Executive for Gas Safe Register, said: “It’s great to see so many people supporting Gas Safety Week this year to help spread important and, in some cases, lifesaving advice about gas safety. It’s so vital that we help people to know not to cut corners with gas and always ask a suitably qualified Gas Safe registered engineer to work on gas appliances at their home to stay gas safe.”

Visit the Gas Safety Week website where you can pledge your support, get campaign materials and benefit from lots of other free advice. 

Keep up to date with Gas Safe Register’s updates and advice throughout Gas Safety Week by following @GasSafeRegister on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram and search #GSW19. 

Propertymark consumer information

Propertymark aims to protect and guide consumers helping them get to grips with what’s expected regarding landlord safety responsibilities and we have outlined the main safety concerns and legal obligations in our guide:

Landlord Safety Responsibilities guide 

Propertymark resources

To help understand your responsibilities, ARLA Propertymark members can login to the members area and refer to our range of fact sheets on:

  • Legal Responsibilities for Gas Safety
  • Gas Regulations – Danger Do Not Use Notices
  • Fitting Carbon Monoxide Detectors
  • Installation of Smoke and Carbon Monoxide Alarms

All our fact sheets are an exclusive member benefit.

Fact sheets 

Members can also download our updated our Making homes safe and Safeguarding your money digital leaflet pack which you can add your logo, branch details and print them from your office or send to clients electronically.

Digital leaflet pack